Archive for the ‘Installation’ Category

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on here, mainly because I no longer work primarily as a DBA but more as a SQL Developer, I was also looking after thousands of instances so came across a lot of issues. However, this one had me stuck for a few days. We have a developer who wanted to run ‘R’ and a 2016 instance which should have let him, but no dice.

The Problem

When running the following ‘R’ test script:

EXEC sp_execute_external_script
@language =N’R’,
@script=N’OutputDataSet<-InputDataSet',
@input_data_1 =N’SELECT 1 AS hello'<
WITH RESULT SETS (([hello world] int not null));
GO

I got the following error:
Msg 39021, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Unable to launch runtime for ‘R’ script.
Please check the configuration of the ‘R’ runtime. Msg 39019, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 An external script error occurred: Unable to launch the runtime. ErrorCode 0x80070490: 1168(Element not found.).

The Solution

I was running on SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4001.0) with no previous ‘R’ installations or CTP instalattions.
The solution was to uninstall and install the dll.
In my case the path to it was C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\R_SERVICES\library\RevoScaleR\rxLibs\x64\RegisterRExt

So, first I opened up dos with admin rights and ran:
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\R_SERVICES\library\RevoScaleR\rxLibs\x64\RegisterRExt” /uninstall

After that I ran
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\R_SERVICES\library\RevoScaleR\rxLibs\x64\RegisterRExt” /install

Note: Each time you run the uninstall or install script it will stop and start your SQL instance

This was for a default instance. I think, if you are using a named instance you need to add: /instance:InstanceName after the /install flag

 

Advertisements

SQL Server 2005 SP3 and above is supported on Windows 7. Trying to install this I ran into the catch 22 situation: it won’t let me install SQL Server as only SP 3 and over is supported. I can’t install the service pack until SQL is installed. You can have hours of fun like this.

You may be able to get a SQL Server 2005 disc with SP3 applied but I couldn’t find one. What I did find was that it let me install developer edition. After that I installed SP4. Then I upgraded to Enterprise.

That all sounds too easy…

Of course it didn’t let me install developer edition just like that. It had to fail a couple of times first. The failure reported that SQLNCLI.msi was missing. It was there so I tried again. It failed. I then did some searching and found that this was because an earlier version of the client was installed. I went to add remove programs and removed it. After that the install went through OK.

This link will take you to my previous post on upgrading SQL Server 2005